Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
Many IDEAS members offer professional development opportunities for teachers, including:
- News and information updates
- Support for teacher networks
- Workshops and courses
- Places on planning and/or management committees
For a full list of such professional development opportunities, search the CPDFind site using the keyword 'global' or 'sustainable'.
Continuing Professional Development Workshops for Teachers for 2012/13
The programme of CPD sessions for next term to support teachers’ global citizenship work is now available. Each professional development workshop will consist of 2 twilight sessions and is scheduled to enable teachers to try out ideas in the classroom between sessions.
The workshops include sessions such as:
• Rights across the curriculum: an active learning approach
• Climate Change: an interdisciplinary approach
• Global Thinking: practical ideas for developing thinking skills through global citizenship
• Food for Thought: investigating the global food system
• Dhaka to Dundee: linking local history with global issues
• Comparing localities: using place as a context for global citizenship learning
• A global approach: primary topic planning
• Failte Malawi: A country focussed approach to global citizenship
• A’ Adams Bairns: equality and diversity in Scotland’s past and present
This programme of CPD is supported by the Global Learning Project in Scotland, please visit here for more information on this project.
To request a copy of the CPD leaflet please email Angela Higgins.
Other workshops available from IDEAS members include:
- "A' Adam's Bairns?"
- An introduction to global school partnerships
- Bringing the global into the science curriculum
- Building effective (school partnerships)
- Developing critical thinking through education for global citizenship
- Developing skills for citizenship: looking at climate change
- Conflict and Exploring humanitarian law
- Early years
- Fair Trade - across the curriculum, citizenship and whole school activities
- Getting to Grips - 4 part CPD
- Millennium Development Goals
- Introduction to global citizenship
- Linkingthinking, thinking and learning for sustainability
- May Peace Prevail on Earth school programme
- Modern foreign languages and global citizenship
- Picture this: the visual arts as a tool for development education
- Sustainable development education across the curriculum
- The UN Convention on the Rights of the Child
- Understanding slavery - past and present
including opportunities to become involved with projects, teacher networks, management committees etc.
Contact your local Development Education Centre (right) to find out more about workshops and training available through the IDEAS network.